How much do you know about Easter? Here’s some Easter Fun Facts that you can share on Resurrection Sunday with your family and friends.
1. According to the Bible and the first 4 of the Anglican Church Articles of Religion, Jesus Christ really is the Son of God, really lived, and died and rose again. So Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
2. Eggs have been seen as ancient symbols of new life and rebirth and so they became an important visual symbol for Christinas to explain the resurrection of Jesus.
3. Feasting has been a way for Christians to celebrate important occasions on the yearly calendar. How much money did Canadians spend on Easter food in 2021? In total $41.70 per person. That’s made up of: $13 on Chocolate, Lamb or Ham $5.90, Hot Cross Buns $2.20, Beverages and other assorted accompaniments $13 and other desserts $7.60
4. 76% of Canadians think the ears of a chocolate bunny should be the first to be eaten!
5. The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680.
6. The date for Easter changes each year because it is based on the Lunar calendar. The simple standard for determining Easter each year is that it is the first Sunday after the full Moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. If the full Moon falls on a Sunday, then Easter is the next Sunday.
7. Holy Week is celebrated during the week leading up to Easter. It begins on Palm Sunday, continues on to Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and then finally, Easter Sunday.
One final fact - God loves you so much that He sent his one and only Son to save you. Happy Easter.